Rapido!® Take Four!! Composition contest
Registration begins: April 27, 2015
Competition takes place: June 8-22, 2015
Semi-finals: November 9, 2015 at the Festival of New American Music
Finals: January 17, 2016 in Atlanta
West Coast Semi-Finalists
- Kenneth Lim, Allomorphosis WINNER
- Roman Baranskiy, Lethe
- Leslie Hogan, Variations for Clarinet Trio
Kenneth Lim is the winning composer of the Rapido! West Coast semi-finals, and will move on to the finals in Atlanta. Congratulations, Kenneth!
Born in Indiana, Kenneth started lessons in violin at an early age, soon after followed by the piano. He studied math as an undergraduate, and linguistics at the graduate level. He currently studies composition at UCLA. His music has been performed by Ensemble Aventure and Viccenium Void, among others. Kenneth is also an accomplished jazz pianist.
- Resident or full-time student resident of all 50 US states
- First 100 online registrants per region
- Composers of all ages & levels of experience
- Underrepresented composers strongly encouraged to enter
The Grand Prize winner will receive:
- $7,500 commission to expand his/her short work into a piece for performance by all five ensembles in 2016-2017.
- Commission for a new orchestral work to be performed by the Grammy-winning Atlanta Symphony Orchestra in the Spring of 2017!
- A 2-week residency at the scenic Hambidge Center for Creative Arts in north Georgia
About Rapido! Contest
Rapido!® A 14-Day Composition Contest was founded by the Atlanta Chamber Players & The Antinori Foundation in 2009 to promote new chamber music compositions.
More than $20,000 in cash prizes - plus premieres, radio broadcasts & recording valued at $10,000 to the national winner!
Atlanta Chamber Players expanded the contest to include the West Coast region, and invited Left Coast Chamber Ensemble to join the consortium.
The Rapido Contest challenges composers of all ages to submit an original chamber work of 4-6 minutes composed in just 14 days: musical form and instrumentation are specified. 15 Semi-Finalist works compete at regional concerts, followed by a National Finals Concert with 5 Finalists competing. Leading the Finals Judging team will be Robert Spano, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Music Director. First prize includes a $7500 Commission - to expand the winning work for premiere performance by partner ensembles in five US cities the following season and - capping the Rapido contest! - to compose a work for symphony orchestra to be premiered by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra!
More about the contest: rapidocompositioncontest.com
photo banner: Jeanette Yu